JUDE’S BOOK PLAYLISTS
I’ve always been a lover of music, no matter what the genre. On more than one occassion I’ve told myself that somewhere in a past life, surely I had something to do with music. Music is in my bones and speaks to my soul even though I can barely hold a note. But I love it nonetheless. So it would only be befitting that whenever I’m writing, music becomes part of the inspiration that influences the mood of my characters or the background scenes of the story. Oftentimes I throw on a pair of headphones and let the music guide the character’s actions, rockin’ through those hot sexy or fast paced action scenes.
Each of my stories have their own unique playlist. The music selected for the playlist initially informs the discovery phase when I first begin to develop a storyline prior to drafting. But once the drafting phase begins the party is on. Jude awakens and all manner of things begin to happen ranging from swooning, dancing, tears to booty shaking.
Here are a few of the songs that inspired my debut novel.
BLACK SEQUINNED BOWS AND CHAMPAGNE NIGHTS
Songs for Riley and Noah
- No Ordinary Love By Sade– In my mind, this song became Noah and Riley’s mantra describing the uniqueness of their love story. When I hear this song I think of them. I listened to several versions of it by different musicians throughout the writing process, one of which (Ben Tankard’s instrumental version) is featured on the Book Trailer.
- People I Belong To By Gino Vannelli– This song for me connected the characters sense of family and their loyalty to those familial and brotherhood relationships of those they loved.
- All Of Me By Nicole Henry – “They’re playing our song?” This is Noah and Riley’s ride or die song. Everything begins and ends on this note for them.
- Lover’s Rock By Sade– Riley loves swaying to this song whenever she contemplates Noah and seduction in the same breath.
- Naughty Girl By Beyoncé – I am reminded of how Noah loves Riley’s Naughty Girl moments when he thinks on taking those hot limousine rides with her or better yet, kneading bread together?
- Cloudy By Average White Band – This song reminds me of Noah’s deep sense of loss when he feels his world is crashing down in and around him.
- Say Something By A Great Big World, Christina Aguilera – Riley and Noah are torn, barely holding on to each other, their newfound love sustained only by a thin thread.
- I Remember By Keisha Cole – I personally felt Riley’s pain and heartbreak through this sad but beautiful song. I cried with her.
- Almost Is Never Enough By Ariana Grande, Nathan Sykes – This song reminded me of the moments why my characters held on when threatened with the possibility to give up on love, knowing they both needed each other.
- If I Should Ever Lose This Love By Gino Vannelli – This song for me fit Noah’s emotional state of being when knows the very air he breathes is dependent upon Riley being in his life. He realizes he must turn the corner and not be denied. He has promises to keep.
- Fly Me To The Moon By Mary Nelson – I’m reminded of the time in the story when Riley flirts with the idea of turning her heart lights back on for Noah.
- What You Won’t Do For Love By Michael Bolton – Oh to be loved liked this! All I have to say is “Go for it Noah.”
- Love On Top By Beyoncé – Of course this song reminds me of how much Jude loves chasing the “happily ever after.” Right about now she’s got her booty-shaking thing going on, her tiara twisted sideways, champagne in hand.
Here are a few of the songs that inspired my Milk Money novel.
Songs for Nicholas and Harper
- For The Love Of Money By O’Jays– This song inspired me to think about Nicholas and Harper’s role in the world of finance, Wall Street players, and the business of Angel Investment. Money Money Money!!
- Empire State Of Mind By Jay-Z– This song connected me to theme and setting of New York where the story takes place.
- The Nearness of You By Norah Jones– “They’re playing a slow song.” Nicholas slow dances with Harper at the wedding reception to this song as an effort to get close to Harper.
- Try A Little Tenderness By Michael Bolton– Nicholas eases into a second dance with Harper at the wedding not wanting to let her go so soon.
- Time After Time By Cassandra Wilson – This song reminds me of Harper’s mindset and mood when her thoughts reflect back on the past life she and Nicholas once shared.
- Scream By Michael Jackson– This song is playing on Harper’s playlist when Reese and Malcolm engage in a testosterone standoff.
- Love Fell On Me By Shelea Frazier – Nicholas and Harper escape the scare of their life. This song inspired my writing reflecting on the moment Nicholas and Harper realize the embers of love still burn deeply in their hearts.
- Anyone Who Had A Heart By Luther Vandross – I personally feel the pain Nicholas was experiencing at the thought of knowing that he might be on the brink of losing Harper forever.
- Sunday Morning By Maroon – This song set the mood for my writing reminding me of Nicholas and Harpers escapades in the mile high club in search of breakfast in the mountains.
- Almost Is Never Enough By Ariana Grande and Nathan Sykes – I’m listened to this song while experiencing the moment Nicholas is heartbroken, alone, misunderstanding decisions he believes Harper has made without him.
- Got To Give It Up By Marvin Gaye – This is what “chasing the happily ever after” feels like. Nicholas is preparing for war. He’s a man on a mission. And, he wants his woman back. Yes Nicholas, do love me like this.
- Crazy In Love By Theme Orchestra – Of course this instrumental take on Beyoncé original song reminds me of how crazy in love Nicholas and Harper really are with each other with a touch of a foreboding darkness added in to get to the light. Thus, this version ended up being the musical theme I selected for the Milk Money book trailer. You can find it here on the website under “Fun Stuff”. All I can say is “Uh Oh Uh Oh.”
Here are a few of the songs that inspired my Sugar Mommy On Top novel.
Sugar Mommy On Top
Songs for Julianna and Dr. Elliot Fischer
- One Last Cry By Heather Headley This song best represents the emotion Julianna felt when she got the news her boyfriend whom she hoped to one day married had married someone else.
- How Can You Mend A Broken Heart By Al Green and Joss Stone The moment when Julianna wonders how she will ever heal from the devastating loss of a love.
- Computer Love By Zapp Julianna’s besties stay in constant battle with her own “Computer Luv.” You’ll have to read the story to appreciate the connection with this song.
- All The Things Your Man Won’t Do By Joe This song reminds me of how Elliot felt when he decided that Julianna was a love he wanted but had not yet earned.
- Love Will Find A Way By Lionel Richie Elliot’s best buddies are a constant source of encouragement egging him on to pursue the woman of his dreams. This song reminded me of Elliot’s determination and hopefulness.
- Say You Love Me By Jesse Ware If Julianna and Elliot were to have a theme song that best represented their love for each other, this song would be it.
- What Would It Take By Anderson East I connected with this song as Elliot fights the hard battle to claim Julianna as his own. He gives it his all.
- Love On The Brain By Rihanna This song reminds me of the moment Julianna realizes she’s falling in love and wants a life with Dr. Elliot Fischer
- Versace On The Floor By Bruno Mars An intimate love connection is made between Juliann and Elliot. Those sexy moments were written with this song playing in the background.
- All Is Fair In Love By Marc Anthony Just when things start to get hot, one may have to be on the lookout for those exes that try to break the bonds of love. The writer takes his pen indeed!
- Try By Melissa Polinar Elliot is never one to walk away from what he wants. Through adversity Julianna still has her heart lights on. Will she shed her fears and make the turn? My mind drifts to a particular scene in the hospital conference room between them whenever I hear this song.
- Thinking Out Loud By Ed Sheeran Yes, people really do fall in love in mysterious ways.